Updates from Dumaguete Redemptorist Community
Not only are we
currently occupied preparing for the approaching Christmas celebrations, we
are likewise doubling our efforts preparing for the closing of our mission
follow-up in several puroks of one
of the biggest barangays within our
parish which is Daro, covering the puroks
of Kalubihan, Gregorio del Pilar (Ma.
By the way, in contrast to the participation of the
people in those areas which we followed up previously, the present areas so
far have shown less
interest in some activities. Our analysis is that these areas are closest to
the heart of the city. We have always entertained the feeling, and we were
right in saying, that urban mission is a great challenge in getting the
people (young and old) to be involved. City life is far different from the
life in the rural areas. Integration and immersion are possible solutions to
the problem but we have a very limited time for this as two weeks had been
sliced from the expected six weeks allotted for the mission follow-up
together with the postulants due to the postulancy midyear evaluation and to
the Psycho-Spiritual Integration II in
The following information will show the progress so far achieved, the difficulties notwithstanding:
1. There are eight Bible sharing groups organized (adult and youth)
2. There are a total of 90 children fed, attended by the parish staff and postulants Ryan Joseph Parantar, Jeofrey Lagos, and Jose Arnel Rallos.
3. There are 14 houses blessed.
4. There are 14 sick and elderly visited and given Holy Communion.
5. Gave BEC-WESTY orientations.
6. Bible orientation at purok Del Pilar.
7. Youth gathering held at Ma.
8. Redemptorist parish youth recollection.
About 98 children were baptized in the church last November 25 with over 700 sponsors. In fact, there were just too many that we had to arrange two slots to accommodate them. The pre-Jordan seminar was given a day before, November 24, after which pre-Jordan IDs were distributed.
For this year, we are giving importance to the family’s involvement, hence, we chose families parishwide to light the Advent wreath during the Masses, viz:
1. Ist Sunday of Advent: Families from Looc and Piapi
2. 2nd Sunday of Advent: Families from Buñao, Pulantubig, and Cacasje.
3. 3rd Sunday of Advent: Families from Daro South, Daro North
4. 4th Sunday of Advent: Families from Laguan and Bantayan.
Dinner for a Cause
Took place last
Over 80 children from ABC Learning Center made their confession before Fr. Arnel, C.Ss.R. and Msgr. Ferreron (73 years old diocesan priest), and the following day, Dec. 4 at 7:45 a.m. these children received their first Holy Communion in a Holy Mass celebrated for them together with their parents and teachers. Fr. Arnel was the celebrant.
National Youth Day
This gathering of the youth was held in
Diocesan Youth Day
Not to be outdone, this activity is also set on
December 11. Some 2,000 youth will assemble in the Our Mother of Perpetual
Help Church grounds for registration and a short orientation and welcome
after which they will proceed to the
1. Eucharistic ministers’ congress, diocesan
2. Mother Butlers congress at St. Joseph Seminary on December 12.
Information on these activities will be forthcoming. Advance Christmas greetings to one and all!